New Year’s and resolutions go hand-in-hand: lose weight, eat better, travel more, make more money, learn a new language…the possibilities are endless. As far as my resolutions go, I generally have the same ones every year (don’t we all), and each year, I vow that “THIS IS MY YEAR!” …but you know what? I think this is my year. Instead of trying to change my lifestyle, I’m just working at living my life the best way possible. And with that comes keeping up with my cooking and baking. Being in the kitchen is a stress-reliever, PLUS when you know what goes in food, even if it isn’t always the healthiest recipe, it sure beats the heck out of something you’d get at a restaurant. Finding time to make dinner throughout the week or taking a break on Sunday to prep lunches for work is important to me, so I’m going to make an effort to stick with it this year—instead of giving in and ordering Chinese 🙂 Seems easy enough, right?
So a recipe to go with my resolution…and this one actually IS healthy 🙂 I took a normal guacamole and amped it up into a lunch-size option by adding chicken. So delicious either by itself or with some chips (I had Beanitos with it…YUM!) Let me know what you think! What are your New Year’s resolutions?
Healthy Chicken Guacamole
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 avocados
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (and a little of the garlic juice never hurts!)
- A generous squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a medium skillet and fill with water until chicken is mostly submerged. Cover and cook over medium heat until chicken is no longer pink. Let cool, then shred into pieces.
- Meanwhile, in another medium skillet, cook corn until slightly charred and no longer moist (sorry…couldn’t think of a better word!).
- In a medium bowl, scoop out avocado and lightly mash. Add green onions, tomato, garlic, lemon juice, corn, and chicken. Stir together. Season with salt and pepper.