Any French recipe automatically sounds 10x harder to make than it actually is. Macarons, Crème Brûlée, Croque Monsieur to name a few. Chicken Cordon Bleu is one such recipe that falls in this category. And while the traditional recipe can be a bit time-consuming—having to pound the chicken and stuff it with cheese and ham—this recipe (discovered on Mel’s Kitchen Cafe blog) is super simple and tastes the same as the fancier stuffed version. And the sauce adds an unexpected twist with the Dijon mustard. An added bonus? This recipe is a healthy dinner solution (minus the sauce, perhaps)! Try it out for a quick weeknight meal—and no one will know it took you less than 15 minutes to prepare 🙂
Super-Simple Chicken Cordon Bleu
(From Mel’s Kitchen Cafe blog)
For the Cordon Bleu:
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 large chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half length-wise (to form two thinner chicken breast cutlets)
- 12 slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
For the Parmesan-Dijon Cream Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bouillon cube, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs and melted butter. Set aside.
- Lay the cut chicken breasts in a single layer in the baking dish. Layer each chicken breast with 2 slices of ham and top with 1 slice of swiss cheese, making sure the entire chicken breast is covered with ham and cheese. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top of the chicken.
- Bake the chicken for 30-35 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through completely, the cheese is bubbling, and the bread crumbs are golden.
- While the chicken bakes, in a medium saucepan, melt the 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, whisking constantly, for 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in the milk while continuously whisking. Stir in the crushed chicken bouillon cube and salt. Whisk constantly over medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken, about 3-5 minutes. Once the sauce has bubbled and thickened, remove from heat and stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Keep the sauce warm until the chicken is finished baking.
- Serve each chicken breast with warm sauce.