I love quiche, plain and simple. All flavors, all variations. Although I’m picky when it comes to my eggs — love hard-boiled, hate scrambled — quiche passes my egg test with flying colors, every time.
I was searching for a good (and healthy) quiche recipe this weekend, and I stumbled across this one. Now, I usually prefer a little bacon in my quiche, but I figured with smoked gouda, I could give it a try…just this once. I will definitely be trying it again. Who knew quiche without bacon, ham, or sausage could be so delicious? And the gouda adds a creaminess to the texture that makes it melt in your mouth (bet you never thought quiche could be described as “melt-in-your-mouth,” did you?). I love this quiche recipe, so much so that I’ve had it for lunch the past three days! That’s saying something for me 🙂 And remember, homemade crust is crucial, and well worth it!
Spinach, Green Onion & Smoked Gouda Quiche
(Adapted from Cooking Light)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (6)
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup skim milk
- 4 ounces grated smoked Gouda cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of grated nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- For crust, place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add milk, salt, and egg yolk to butter, beating well after each addition. Add flour; beat just until combined. Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place chilled dough in a 9-inch pie plate. Starting in the center, press dough into pie plate, pressing up the sides until evenly spread (mend any tears). Poke holes in dough with a fork. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- To prepare filling, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions. Sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes.
- Combine 1 cup milk and remaining ingredients in a bowl; stir well with a whisk. Stir in spinach mixture. Pour filling into crust. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Cut into 10 wedges.