Sometimes, you just need a Mexican fiesta. You never know when this urge might strike, but when it does, Mexican food is just something you have to have (anyone else get this feeling?). Nevermind that it was 20 degrees F this weekend, Max and I wanted us some fish tacos something fierce. And with fish tacos, what better than an icy, coconuty pina colada?
Although we didn’t turn the heat up in our apartment to make it feel like Mexico, the food tasted delicious all the same. We brought our own Mexican fiesta to good ol’ Iowa, and ay caramba, it was delicioso!
Fish Tacos with Fruit Salsa
For Fruit Salsa (NOTE: We use whatever fruit we can find at the store. Try switching it up with the seasons!):
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 T lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tilapia fillets (or any other white fish)
- Fiesta-Lime seasoning (or any other taco seasoning you prefer)
- Salt and ground pepper
- 4 small flour tortillas, warmed
- Shredded lettuce, optional
- Salsa, optional
- In a medium bowl, combine ingredients for fruit salsa. Let marinate in fridge.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Place fillets in skillet. Generously coat top side of the fish with seasoning, salt, and pepper. Flip fish after 2-3 minutes. Coat other side with seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook until fish is opaque and flakes with fork.
- Top warm tortillas with fish, fruit salsa, and, if desired, shredded lettuce and salsa. Serve with pina coladas!