Anything in miniature size is automatically better than the full-size version. Teacup pigs, pigmy hippos, cake pops, and these muffin cups — animals and food examples. My two favorite things, and by far the best categories for miniature things.
Around Christmas, I needed a recipe for a quick and tasty breakfast. I’ve had this recipe in my pile for awhile now and was eager to try it out. And who doesn’t like when things are portioned out for them? A quick fix for a large group, these little muffin cups were as delicious as they were adorable. Add a little hot sauce and they’re just right!
Breakfast Muffin Cups
(Adapted from Johnsonville)
- 3 cups hash browns
3 tablespoons butter
Dash salt and pepper
- 12 links breakfast sausage (I like Applegate Farms)
- 6 eggs
2 cups shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
fresh chives or green onions, chopped
- In a bowl, combine the hash browns, butter, salt, and pepper. Press mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of greased muffin cups (works with regular- or jumbo-size muffin cups). Bake at 400°F for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage according to package directions; cut into ½-inch pieces. Divide sausage among muffin cups.
- Combine the eggs, cheese and bell pepper. Spoon over sausage. Sprinkle with chives.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until set.