My love for BLTs doesn’t (nor will it ever) get old. And when it comes to BLTs, I’m not afraid to stray from the original. I’ve had my fair share of salmon BLTs and other variations, but this recipe might be my new favorite twist. Take your classic BLT, add fried tomatoes, slather with pesto aioli, and use biscuits for the bread. Need I say more? The BL(fried)T. A Southern twist that is oh-so delicious.
- Bacon (and lots of it; we used one package)
- 1 can Pillsbury biscuits (or homemade, but this is easier :))
- 1 cup corn grits
- 1/2 cup olive-oil mayonnaise
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 T pesto seasoning (or substitute fresh Basil)
- 1/4 cup olive-oil mayonnaise
- Cook bacon until crisp; set aside. Meanwhile, cook biscuits according to package directions.
- Place grits and the 1/2 cup mayonnaise in two separate shallow dishes. Dip tomato slices into mayonnaise, then grits, and set aside until finished with all tomato slices. In hot bacon grease (test by dropping a couple grits into grease), fry tomatoes for about 1 minute each side; set aside to cool.
- Mix together pesto seasoning and the 1/4 cup mayonnaise. Spread one side of biscuits with pesto mayo. Top with a couple slices of bacon, a leaf of lettuce, and one fried tomato.