Happy Monday! We had a nice weekend at home, spent some time with friends and family, and found the time to make a dinner or two. Sunday is grocery day in our household, so Sunday morning, I turned to Max to decide what we should have for dinner the next three nights. After much deliberation, we chose Chicken Parmesan. Why? Because sometimes, you just need some Italian food. With Max’s family being Italian, my Italian dishes are inspected inside and out by Max to make sure they live up to his family’s delicious dishes. Luckily, the chicken parmesan recipe has been perfected. The crusty breading mixed with gooey cheese and warm pasta sauce is a delicious meal for any night of the week. Next on my list? Eggplant Parmesan, as requested by Max. We’ll see how that turns out 🙂
Skinny Chicken Parmesan
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1 T dried oregano
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 1 t pepper
- 1/2 cup flour, in a shallow bowl
- 2 eggs, whisked, in a shallow bowl
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 cups prepared tomato sauce (we used olive oil & garlic Barilla sauce)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Linguine, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place chicken breasts in between two pieces of plastic wrap; using a rolling pin, pound out until about 1/2″ thickness. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, oregano, cayenne, and pepper in a shallow dish. Dip chicken breasts, one at a time, in flour, then egg, then bread crumb mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place coated chicken breasts in skillet. Turn heat to medium; cover. Cook until golden on both sides.
- Spread 1 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Place chicken breasts in baking dish, and top with remaining tomato sauce, the remaining Parmesan, and the mozzarella. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and chicken is no longer pink. Serve with linguine, if desired.