My friends and I started a book club. Last month was the first get-together, so this month, I volunteered to host. It’s such a great excuse to get together with friends, eat food, and drink wine. The only problem? No one actually finished the book… whoops! Only a minor setback, though, because we still had plenty of food and wine (which is obviously the real reason we’re getting together in the first place!). Anyways, I decided to make an White Bean & Artichoke dip (below) and a Buffalo Chicken dip (I won’t post the recipe since I’ve overdone it lately on the buffalo chicken recipes…but if you want it, let me know :)). My co-host brought over Cowboy Caviar (so good!) and cheese and crackers…and don’t worry, there was enough wine to go around.
Since the White Bean & Artichoke dip was a first-time recipe for me, I was excited to see how it turned out. In the end, I was pleased with the result, but the one thing I wasn’t so pleased about? The final appearance…it isn’t the best-looking dip. Kind of looks like mixed-up tuna. But that’s OK, because it’s all about the taste, right? Next time, I might not blend quite as much so that it doesn’t look like a mashed-up mess. I’ll work on the appearance a bit, but I will definitely be making it again!
White Bean & Artichoke Dip
(Adapted from Holiday Recipes magazine from BHG)
- 1 can artichokes, drained
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 cup green onions (3-4), chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used light olive oil mayo)
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- Salt & pepper
- Saute artichokes in 1 T of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until artichokes start to brown. Move artichokes into food processor and blend until smooth (I would move about 3/4 to food processor and leave 1/4 to mix in later).
- In same skillet, saute green onions and garlic in remaining olive oil until onions are soft. Add onions to food processor. Add 1/2 can of beans and the mayo. Process until mixture is smooth.
- Place mixture into a medium-size bowl. Add remaining artichokes (if left out), remaining beans, roasted red peppers, and salt and pepper to taste. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.