Max and I had a very uncommon weekend — no plans! — and decided to take advantage of it and stay home allll day Saturday. We capitalized on the beautiful weather by taking Calvin on the three-mile loop at Raccoon River park, and then prepared for a delicious Mexican fiesta at our apartment with my parents. Earlier in the afternoon, I made a special dessert for the evening, Salted Caramel Pots de Crème, and for the main course we settled on steak tacos and margaritas! Great food, awesome weather, and fun company made for a great night, even though Dayton-McIlwain Jr. lost to the McIlwain Duo in the Olympic gold-medal bags match (Max’s fault ;)). Nothing like a little Mexican feast as summer winds to an end.
- Assorted veggies, sliced (we used red, yellow, and orange peppers and onion
- Mexican seasoning
- Top sirloin steak, cut into strips (my dad cooked our steak to PERFECTION. It was phenomenal!!)
- Queso blanco, crumbled
- Mango salsa or guacamole, optional
- In a large bag, combine sliced veggies and seasoning (we used Frontera seasoning sauce from Whole Foods). Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Warm tortillas in oven until veggies are prepared. Saute veggies until cooked through.
- Prepare tacos, stacking steak, veggies, cheese, and cilantro. Add salsa or guacamole if desired.