Continuing on the salad theme, last night I whipped up a tasty summer salad for my mom, Max, and myself. I wanted something a little more substantial than my lunch salads, so I decided to add parmesan-encrusted chicken for a little protein. Yum! Salads are not only a healthy dinner solution, but they can be delicious and satisfying, too, and not one bit boring! And I absolutely loved this salad dressing. It was a little more thick than I’m used to with the added jam, but it was the perfect amount of tangy and sweet to accompany the chicken and berries. Enjoy!
Asparagus, Strawberry & Arugula Salad with Parmesan-Encrusted Chicken
- 1/3 cup + 2 T olive oil
- 2 1/2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 2 T raspberry jam
- 1 t white pepper
- Asparagus spears
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 T thyme
- 2 eggs
- 2 chicken breasts
- Strawberries, sliced
- Salad blend (with arugula!)
- Focaccia bread, optional
- For dressing, in a sealable container, mix together olive oil, balsamic, dijon, jam, and pepper. Close lid and shake to mix. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 T olive oil. Add asparagus spears and saute until heated through and still crisp. Season with salt and pepper, remove from skillet, and place in fridge to cool.
- In same skillet, heat 1 T olive oil over medium heat. In a bowl, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan, and thyme. In another bowl, whisk eggs. Slice chicken breasts lengthwise, and dip all four pieces in bread crumb mixture, egg, and then back in bread crumb mixture. Add to skillet, cover with lid, and let cook for about 5 minutes each side, or until bread crumbs are golden and chicken is no longer pink. Remove from skillet and let cool on cutting board.
- Meanwhile, mix together salad blend, strawberries, and asparagus. Slice chicken once cooled and place atop greens. Top with additional shaved Parmesan and dressing. Serve with focaccia bread, if desired.