This is the last post in regard to Cinco de Mayo. Since Max and I ended up going home last minute, I didn’t make anything too elaborate for the party. (Not that Nik and Rachel needed me to make anything, anyways!) I settled on a cocktail I originally saw on Iowa Girl Eats blog: Skinny Sunrise Cocktail. This recipe appealed to me for many reasons: It was relatively healthy for a cocktail, it used rum (I’m not a vodka drinker), and I got to make my own strawberry simple syrup for it! I prepared the recipe in bulk for the party (I guesstimated the amounts so you may want more or less of a particular ingredient), but on her site, she offers the recipe for a single serving. Everyone raved about the cocktail, so I will definitely be making it again in the future. A helpful tip, though, before making it in an attractive beverage bucket: make sure to strain your seeds or it will clog the spigot! We ended up having to transfer the drink to a pitcher since the seeds blogged the passage 😦 It looked pretty while it lasted, though!
(Modified from Iowa Girl Eats recipe)
- 1 bottle Bacardi silver rum (could use any other type of liquor or rum)
- 2 mason jars of homemade strawberry simple syrup (see recipe below)
- 1/2 of Simply Orange orange juice jug (1.75 L jug)
- 1 large can pineapple juice
- 1 bottle club soda
- 3 large oranges, sliced
- Remaining strawberries, sliced
For the strawberry simple syrup:
- 2 granulated sugar
- 2 cup water
- 15 large strawberries
1. For the strawberry simple syrup: Combine sugar, water, and strawberries into a small saucepan over high heat. Mash strawberries as the mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 30 seconds, then turn off the heat and allow syrup to cool completely. Transfer syrup to a food processor or blender, process until smooth, then strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove the strawberry seeds (optional.) Chill in the fridge.
2. Fill a large container or pitcher with rum, strawberry simple syrup, orange juice, and pineapple juice. Add club soda and fruit and stir until mixed. Add ice to individual drinks to avoid watering down the cocktail. Serve with delicious Fish Tacos!