Normally I don’t like burgers. And lately I haven’t been a big fan of chicken. Call me crazy, but when the weather gets warmer, the last thing I want to eat is a big hunk of meat. However, I came across a recipe that fell into both the burger and the chicken category — Chicken Caesar Burgers — and it actually sounded pretty good! I was so happy with how these turned out…usually I can’t cook a burger without it A. falling apart or B. drying out, and these were juicy and flavorful AND kept their shape! I opted to make my own Caesar dressing, but you can use store-bought dressing to save a step! And the pita rounds were a great touch to make an open-faced sandwich with a few less calories 🙂 These burgers are a fun twist and a little more “classy” than your typical meat patty with cheese (since classiness is obviously what I look for in my food 🙂 ). Let me know what you think of them, they just may be my new favorite burger!!
Chicken Caesar Burgers
(Recipe adapted from: Grilling magazine, Meredith Corporation)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 t Worchestershire sauce (we didn’t have any on hand so I subbed in steak sauce)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken (we used Smart Chicken!)
- Caesar dressing, store-bought or homemade
- 4 small pita bread rounds
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Tomato slices
- In a large bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, Parmesan, lemon juice, Worchestershire sauce, garlic, and pepper. Add chicken and mix well. Shape chicken mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties (we actually made 5 good-size patties out of the mix!)
- Now, we chose to cook on the stove instead of grilling, but grilling is definitely an option! (I’m just no good at it and Max thought they would fall apart :)) So from here, either grill over medium heat until no longer pink or cook in a skillet in hot oil over medium heat. For skillet, place patties in hot oil and cover, allowing the meat to cook internally.
- Meanwhile, heat or toast pita rounds. Spread a thin layer of Caesar dressing onto rounds, top with lettuce and tomato, and finish with a delicious chicken patty!