I’m on a green-food kick! Tonight I decided to whip up some pesto grilled cheese sandwiches. I made my own pesto using a super-simple recipe, and got some delicious, crusty bread, fontina cheese, and a bit of goat cheese to make it gourmet. It was so good, I wish I would’ve made two! Instead, I opted for some Trader Joe’s Soft & Juicy Mango slices for dessert. I discovered these suckers today and they are the perfect curb for my sweet tooth at the end of the night! If you like mango, give them a try!
Natalie’s Delectable Pesto Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Crunchy bread, sliced (I went with a sesame seed artisan bread)
- Fontina cheese, sliced (this cheese melts up great! It’s a pretty mild cheese)
- Goat cheese crumbles, optional (I had some leftover and since I LOVE goat cheese, I added some!)
- Homemade Pesto
- Add cheeses to one slice of bread (or half of the slices depending on how many sandwiches you’re making).
- Spread Homemade Pesto onto other slice(s) of bread. Combine cheese slice and pesto slice. Butter top of sandwich.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add sandwich, buttered side down, to skillet. Butter top side. (TIP!: I’ve found that placing the lid on the skillet helps cook the cheese without cooking the bread too quickly. Thanks, Max :))
- Flip, and flip some more. Continue to cook over medium heat until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melty on the inside…and it begins to ooze out. (The best part is when a little cheese oozes onto the skillet and cooks up to make a little crunchy piece. My favorite!)
- Transfer to a plate, slice in half, and enjoy!
Do you have a variation on pesto grilled cheese sandwiches?