This week was a good week, full of fun activities! It’s hard to pick just five, but here goes nothing…
- BACONFEST!!! Yes, you read that correctly. A full day devoted to bacon. This event sold out in less than an hour, but what did you expect, we’re right in the heartland. The event goes for six straight hours…what do you do for that amount of time? Consume bacon I guess! (To give myself a bit of credit, I’ve been working out double this week to make up for my massive cheat day tomorrow…don’t judge me.) Bring on the bacon!
- Nik & Rachel are coming! My brother and sister-in-law are coming to stay with us for the weekend, to go to, you guessed it, Baconfest. My brother is one of the biggest bacon fans I know, (he has a cookbook devoted to bacon recipes), so we’re going to have a blast! His birthday was last Friday, so this is a belated birthday present. Baconfest, don’t let us down.
- Valentine’s Day. If you saw the earlier posts this week, V-Day was good to me this year. I made some good food, had some good wine, and spent the evening with a good guy (two good guys if you count Calvin). I know it’s a made-up holiday, but it’s one that I enjoy celebrating.
- Lunch date to Proof. For a V-Day lunch date, I went to Proofwith one of my best friends. This downtown Des Moines restaurant is a great lunch choice. Normal portion sizes with healthy lunch options, it is definitely becoming a favorite of mine!
- Easter egg M&Ms are available.This one is sort’ve a love/hate, and not really a “fun” for the week, but I had to share my horror story. I have a sweet obsession, and the only way to curb this issue is to stay far, far away from them. Why do the easter egg shapes taste so much better than the normal M&Ms? Who knows, but I’m going to guess it has to do with the peanut butter to chocolate ratio. Well, after going to Target tonight, I came face-to-face with my enemy. And from here, it gets a little bit embarrassing. I proceeded to open the bag while browsing the store (can you even do that?), and paid for the half-eaten bag along with a tilapia fillet and a bolthouse juice. I apologized to the cashier, but I’m pretty sure this is an issue she doesn’t often have to face, so she just kind of looked at me like I was an idiot (my mom later informed me that the only people who open food in a grocery store are mothers who have impatient toddlers. Makes sense…). Well, the guilt kicked in once I got into my car, and I knew if I didn’t act fast, I’d end up eating the whole bag. So, I took matters into my own hands. At the next stoplight, I rolled down the window and proceeded to dump the entire rest of the bag into the streets of West Des Moines. I guess that’s one way to not eat sweets?
Runner-Up 1: Giving Blood. I’m doing a blood drive at Meredith today, and even though I go into a sweaty panic as they prick my finger and prepare my arm, I always feel so good afterwards. PLUS, free cookies, pop, and chips? That’s reason enough! 🙂
Runner-Up 2: Crafternoon. Fridays at Meredith are the best! This afternoon, we’re invited to craft with the DIY team for an upcoming project for their magazine. Food & drinks are provided, and it’s a great way to wind down the week. At the previous crafternoon we made modified terrariums (mine and Metta’s are pictured below). Look for the DIY Summer 2012 issue to see these little puppies featured! Do you wish you had my job yet? 🙂
Cheers to the weekend! The next time we chat, I’ll be in a bacon-induced coma.