Ahh, it’s zucchini mania at my house right now—our zucchini plant is popping out the big fellas faster than we can handle! After picking three zucchini last week, I knew I had to think of something to make with them before they went to waste. So, naturally, my first thought was zucchini bread. A big ol’ loaf of it. Good thing I had a few extra zucchini, too, because I ended up needing to make a second batch. And NOT because it was just that good, but rather, because I skipped a key ingredient in the first batch: sugar.
I’ll be honest…zucchini bread without sugar doesn’t taste good. Don’t try and cut calories and skip the sugar because you won’t end up eating it, trust me. And the best part about this small but important mess up was that I had no idea I did it. I just thought I made a terrible batch of zucchini bread. As I was laying in bed that night, I told Max how the zucchini bread just wasn’t any good. I followed that up by saying, “It just tastes like there’s no sugar in it.” And then it dawned on me…there wasn’t! So, the next day, I made a new batch. This time, it was a delicious, moist loaf—second time’s a charm I guess :)
Classic Zucchini Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg or other spices (I used pumpkin pie spice, too!)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups peeled and grated zucchini, undrained (*this is important—keeping the liquid helps give it that moist texture!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease two small pans or one large pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Whisk until blended well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to the egg mixture, and beat until combined. Stir in the zucchini. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake zucchini bread for 50-70 minutes, or until the bread is set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes, then remove from pan.